The Quakertown Band

Our Historic Past, Enter the Players


On February 22, 1877, the founding members met in Aaron B. Walp's shoe factory on East Broad Street in Quakertown, located on the site later occupied by the Quakertown Furniture Store. The factory building was also used as the band's first rehearsal hall.

It is interesting to note that seventeen of the band's twenty-three charter members were shoemakers by trade, including Charles H. Walp, a son of the owner of the factory. Another son, Tilghman Walp, was the first member admitted to the band in the following year.

A list of the charter members, by section, reads as follows:

CORNETS
Hirman Tice
Gideon Harmer
Peter Smith
Edwin P. Fretz
Daniel Hoffman
William Eichner
TENORS
Andrew Hoffman
Peter Hillpot
Monroe B. Dill

BARITONE
Charles H. Walp
SNARE DRUM
John Bleam
Allen Harmer

CYMBALS
George Bleam
ALTOS
Harry B. Scheid
Edwin Scheid
William Ortt
Henry Hoffman
BASS
William Bleam, Sr.
William Bleam, Jr.
William Scholl
Allen Barndt
BASS DRUM
Joseph Harmer

PICCOLO
Elam Baringer
◄ Previous
1
2
3
4
5
Next ►

Home | Schedule | History | Press | Join Us! | About Us | Contact Us | Endorsements | Admin Area

©2017 Quakertown Band
Site By SDG Communications, Inc.